A Purpose-driven Brand
Everything we do is shaped and guided by what we believe.
We believe that companies must commit to shaping a better world.
From the onset, our goal was not only to create beautiful, cruelty-free products and build a vegan brand, but also to contribute meaningfully to our local community and the world at large.
That’s why we do business according to the following core principles/guidelines:
- We believe that beauty can and will save the world. Therefore, we are passionate about designing stylish and sustainable products, ensuring the they are not harming people, the environment or the animals we share our planet with.
- We firmly maintain that no animal’s life should be taken for the sake of fashion. We will never use materials sourced via the exploitation and killing of animals. All Miomojo products are absolutely cruelty-free!
- We are committed to actively contributing to impactful, concrete animal protection and rescue projects with every sale of our products and keeping supporters informed about how these donations are put to effective and meaningful use.
- We are deeply invested in speaking out against violence and injustice in all its forms while also encouraging our consumers to support causes that they feel passionate about.
- We believe in building a committed, professional staff and helping foster a global community interested in beauty and a conscious way of living.
- We are convinced that everyone can make a meaningful difference and that organizations and business can (and should) contribute to making the world better for all living beings.
How we live our values:
- By choosing materials that are never derived from animal killing or exploitation.
- By giving back. With our ethos “you buy, we give”, we contribute to charitable causes with every single product sold. 10% of our net profit supports tangible projects helping animals in need.
- By responsibly sourcing from partners who look after their workers, who produce with integrity and following our core guidelines and principles as a vegan company.
- By thoughtfully creating sustainable, affordable products, encouraging at large a cruelty-free purchasing behaviour.
- By engaging personally in the projects and volunteering activities we help fund.
- By raising awareness for the myriad benefits of a healthy, conscious and compassionate lifestyle on our social media platforms.
Italian Design and Cruelty-free Materials
Fashion and design have always been an important part of the Italian culture and we are proud to be based in Italy, a country at the forefront of global design trends, and specifically minutes away from Milan, a city which is internationally recognized as one of the most important global fashion capitals. Milan has a long and established history within the fields of fashion, textiles and design in general and we are inspired by this rich tradition each and every day.
Our designers strive to continuously improve the standard of our materials, while respecting our commitment to remaining sustainable, cruelty-free, beautiful and also affordable. We are at the beginning of our journey and recognize that still so much needs to be done. Finding the right materials and being able to apply them in service to an ambitious vision is fundamental to creating truly beautiful things.
At the moment, we proudly offer products made of:
Vegan leather - Proud to be 100% cruelty-free!
As a vegan brand, we do not use leather, feathers, fur, silk or wool in any of our products and NEVER will.
Besides the undeniable fact that exploiting animals for their flesh and fur is needlessly violent and cruel, there are so many other important reasons to avoid the consumption of leather products:
- Animal skins are treated with highly toxic chemicals that prevent them from decomposing.
- The chemicals used in leather tanning makes it one of most toxic industries in the world.
- The climate impact of the leather industry is deeply troubling, contributing significantly to environmental destruction around the world. The leather industry, along with the meat industry, is among the major causes of deforestation, water pollution and other serious threats to the environment. Astonishingly, harvesting animals for their flesh and fur contributes more to climate change causing greenhouse gas emissions than all transportation systems combined.
No PVC policy: Various vegan leathers are used in production; the scientific terms are PU (polyurethane) and PVC (polyvinylchloride). PVC is considered to be the most environmentally damaging of all plastics (as cited by Greenpeace). We do not use any PVC in any of our products – we have been 100% PVC free since our start in late 2012.
Additionally, vinyl chloride is used to make most PVC plastic and vinyl products and is very harmful not simply to the environment. Short-term exposure to PVC has resulted in central nervous system disorders, such as dizziness, drowsiness, and headaches in humans. Long-term exposure can result in liver damage and can lead to an increased risk of cancer.
We make sure and certify that the PUs we use do not contain PVC, Azo-dyes, formaldehyde and heavy metals, all very harmful both for people as well as the environment.
Our choice to avoid leather enables us to greatly diminish our negative impact compared to those that do use leather. Synthetic alternatives are not without environmental concerns (the majority of the impacts associated with synthetic fibres are from the processing of oil into yarn) though we are mindful of focusing on the materials that are least taxing on the planet.
We are actively investigating the possibility of leveraging innovative materials such as leather from pineapple waste, mushrooms, bananas, apples and oranges. It’s still early days, but our commitment is to continue this journey towards sustainability for us, the animals and the environment.
Recycled polyester – very ethicool!
Various lines we offer are produced in R-PET, polyester that is made out of recycled plastic water bottles. This reduces our dependence on petroleum as a raw material source. By using recycled polyester, we are helping to divert plastic from landfills. It takes 700 years before plastic bottles in landfills start to decompose, so we actively champion the use of recycled polyester from plastic bottles.
This material is nice, durable and well-suited for our everyday use accessories.
More and more we are widening our offering in R-PET because it’s cool, it’s modern and it fits perfectly into our overall concept and lifestyle.
We are working to replace virgin polyester with recycled polyester for all lines. And we decided to switch to fabrics made from recycled water bottles also for our lining.
Recycled polyester has a 75% lower carbon footprint than virgin polyester and uses up to 90% less water!
We love natural fibres
In various lines, we use linen and hemp. We love them for many reasons besides being aesthetically awesome materials. They are strong fibres, they breathe, have anti-bacterial properties, are resistant to moth and other insects, and they both biodegrade.
No Cotton policy: Our already sparing use of COTTON will be phased out beginning in 2018 and replaced entirely by R-PET, synthetic and other natural fibres. Conventionally grown cotton uses more pesticides than any other single crop. Water use is another issue with conventional cotton. To grow cotton, one requires about 1400 gallons of water for every pound one intends to produce. That’s a lot of water! Some areas of the world have even experienced desertification as a result of producing cotton.
We could use organic cotton, but we found that the traceability is not so easy and clear, therefore we prefer hemp. About half the amount of water is required to produce hemp compared to cotton. Hemp is a strong and reliable plant that grows very quickly and produces also about 200% – 250% more fibre in the same amount of land compared to cotton. Another big plus - it grows well without the use of chemicals because it has few serious pest problems.
Certified synthetic fabrics
Our synthetic materials are all certified from third parties and do not contain PVC, Azo-dyes, formaldehyde and heavy metals, all very harmful for people as well as for the environment. Each season, we explore new, innovative ways to become more sustainable and as we are just at the beginning of our journey, we are still very far from where we want to be. We are very dedicated to being a responsible, respectful, modern business and to become a leading vegan brand, offering one day a cruelty-free, beautiful option for all products currently made in leather.
We are Certified
Sustainable and respectful production
Our collections are ethically produced in carefully selected production facilities in Asia. A reliable supply chain is extremely important to us, and thus these factories were chosen in adherence to our deeply rooted principles. We build long-term relationships and we believe in working with suppliers that share our vision, and that’s why our partners have been working with us since the very beginning. We ensure that we are supporting safe and fair working conditions across our supply chain. Every production is carefully controlled by our own employees in the Miomojo Hong Kong office (established 2 years ago), who perform regular quality control on every production line.
We would have loved to have a completely European supply chain, but the costs - and consequently the product retail price - proved to be very high. We are not a luxury vegan company and we do not wish to be. We think that beautiful, cruelty-free design should be affordable in order to contribute to a meaningful change of lifestyle that will impact also the well-being of animals and our planet. We will always explore new options to become more sustainable without becoming too expensive to be afforded by a wider, compassionate community.